Re: Plant a Row for the Hungry

  • Subject: Re: Plant a Row for the Hungry
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 20:02:32 -0400

The need is so huge this year. One of Atlanta's major food banks is down to one day per week distribution because there just isn't enough to go around. Our local charity, The Place, is feeding 300 people a week, either through the surplus food room or the Wednesday lunch. And we're a not a huge county. Several local churches also have food banks, and there's a government surplus peanut butter and cheese distribution that's also run out of food recently.

One of my long-time tomato customers called to chat the other day. She's having to chose between buying medicine and buying food. Unfortunately, she's not well enough now to grow much of a garden - only a couple of tomato plants that a friend will help her plant. That's not right!

So, I do what I can to help spread the word. I've spoken to several local church groups, and will be talking to a few civic groups in the next few weeks, in addition to my usual gardening classes. I finally got tired of waiting for the MGs to do Plant a Row. They'd been dragging their feet trying to find a place for a garden before they did anything. I've been urging them to get involved for at least 6 years and they're at least looking for a spot now, but now that I've gotten the ball rolling, a bunch of them are getting involved. I also sent a press release to the local paper, and a young reporter ran with it and got it on the front page of the second section, with a picture, too. http://www.forsythnews.com/news/archive/2066/

I'm also trying to get a big can drive going at church. We've got collection bins, but they're not filling up very fast. I can't think what to call it. "Can Do" comes to mind, but I'm not sure that's the best name. Got any ideas?