RE: Plant a Row for the Hungry

  • Subject: RE: Plant a Row for the Hungry
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 17:26:29 -0700

"CAN you help"?

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Daryl
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 5:03 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Plant a Row for the Hungry

The need is so huge this year. One of Atlanta's major food banks is down
one day per week distribution because there just isn't enough to go
around.
Our local charity, The Place, is feeding 300 people a week, either
through
the surplus food room or the Wednesday lunch. And we're a not a huge
county.
Several local churches also have food banks, and there's a government
surplus peanut butter and cheese distribution that's also run out of
food
recently.

One of my long-time tomato customers called to chat the other day. She's

having to chose between buying medicine and buying food. Unfortunately,
she's not well enough now to grow much of a garden - only a couple of
tomato
plants that a friend will help her plant. That's not right!

So, I do what I can to help spread the word. I've spoken to several
local
church groups, and will be talking to a few civic groups in the next few

weeks, in addition to my usual gardening classes. I finally got tired of

waiting for the MGs to do Plant a Row.  They'd been dragging their feet
trying to find a place for a garden before they did anything.  I've been

urging them to get involved for at least 6 years and they're at least
looking for a spot now, but now that I've gotten the ball rolling, a
bunch
of them are getting involved. I also sent a press release to the local
paper, and a young reporter ran with it and got it on the front page of
the
second section, with a picture, too.
http://www.forsythnews.com/news/archive/2066/

I'm also trying to get a big can drive going at church. We've got
collection
bins, but they're not filling up very fast. I can't think what to call
it.
"Can Do" comes to mind, but I'm not sure that's the best name. Got any
ideas?