RE: Chickens...

  • Subject: RE: Chickens...
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 14:04:19 -0700

Guess I will put up an ad on our bulletin board for my eggs, we are
getting too many now. I haven't sold them at work in so long all my old
customers have retired.
The first time you eat an animal you raised is extremely weird if you
grew up with getting your meat from the supermarket. It's just...weird.
We're considering getting out of sheep raising. We have the four lambs,
one remaining ewe and one ram. We'd have to buy more ewes if we want to
keep doing it. I told husband that I would miss them but since it's he
who does all the hard labor, he can decide. I want a good home for the
ram though, he is a really nice specimen with a good temperament, too
nice to send through the auction.
We had to hire a pet-sitter when we went to Palm Springs since we left
the horses at home. Husband didn't want to ask our neighbor yet again,
there's limits to how much we can abuse her neighborliness, so we had an
actual company come out. Holy cow there's a lot of money in that!! I was
agog. However a couple days ago they sent us a
thank-you-for-the-business card, with pictures of all our animals! I had
to admire it even while I was thinking, for no thank-you card could they
have knocked off 10%? But I think I found my after-retirement
job...although I am at the tail end of the baby-boomers, so no doubt
when I retire all the good niche occupations will have been filled.

Cyndi