OT - woodpeckers

  • Subject: OT - woodpeckers
  • From: Pam Evans <gardenqueen@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:03:08 -0500

I have a pair of downy woodpeckers whose antics crack me up anyway.  But
tonight I discovered why, when I fill the peanut basket I find a bunch of
empty shells in the basket.  It's a handleless colander that's nailed to the
top of the big hackberry stump (about 4 feet high).  I came around the
corner of the house and saw a head bobbing up and down in the basket.  It
was the female just going to town on those peanuts.  After a few minutes,
the male flew down and perched on the rim of the colander.  So she jumped
out and he jumped in and took his "turn".  It was just hilarious and solved
that minor mystery of the empty shells in the basket.  The rest of the birds
(mostly blue jays & cardinals) fly down, grab a peanut and fly of into one
of the shrubs or trees to eat their treat and come back.  I guess the
woodpeckers think that's a waste of time.  You had to be here I guess, but
it was pretty darn funny.

--
Pam Evans
Kemp TX