Tomatoes (was RE: Windy weekend)
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Tomatoes (was RE: Windy weekend)
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:04:27 -0700

It could be the night temps here too, I'm not sure. The desert tends to
cool off pretty quickly as soon as the sun goes down and I haven't paid
that much attention to the lows in summer. This reference I found on
UNLV's website gives pretty much all the problems I have with tomatoes:

http://www.unce.unr.edu/publications/files/ho/other/fs8860.pdf

It says temps above 90F during the day are the main cause of blossom
drop, and temps of 104F for only a few hours causes aborted blossoms.
That's not uncommon here in the summer. Poor tomatoes...
It would be interesting to try the shade cloth and some misters.

Cyndi