A minor weather miracle
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: A minor weather miracle
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:26:23 -0700

Hard to believe but for once the weekend weather was gorgeous and it
turned nasty on Monday. Woohoo! I planted more of the veggie garden and
did some weeding. We had a family event on Saturday so couldn't do much
more outside, and on Sunday I abandoned the garden and we took the
horses to go riding in the wildflowers. Beautiful beautiful beautiful.
So many poppies! The poppies and the goldfields made a dazzling display
and there were spatterings of others: owl's clover, gilia, dwarf lupine,
and a pretty white flower I can't remember the name of.
There were quite a few people out there - hikers, cyclists, equestrians
and motorbikes. Everyone was taking it easy and enjoying the day, even
the dirt bikers were polite and turned around when they saw horses.
We'll try it again next weekend if the weather cooperates. There is
nothing like standing in the middle of a hundred acres of California
poppies. It's so orange your brain fizzes.  I'll have to play with my
camera again. This model doesn't seem to focus as well on the "auto"
setting. Playing with the camera while on horseback isn't terribly
convenient - I'm trying to hold the reins and the camera, and I can't
see the little settings without reading glasses which I don't wear when
riding. But I'll figure something out.
The veggie garden is doing well so far, the peas are flowering and I am
picking spinach. I think everything else except maybe the peppers can
get planted next weekend. Roses and iris just starting to bloom,
lavender going strong, lots of weeds as always.

Cyndi