Re: Blooming Today
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Blooming Today
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 17:11:04 EDT

It's good to hear that spring has arrived somewhere.  Maybe it will get
here eventually.  Actually, today is fairly pleasant - partly sunny and
temperature around 60 degrees, but the past week has been most
definitely unpleasant with drizzly rain most of the time and temperatures
around 40 degrees.  Depressing.
Pam, I wish we could send you some of our rain.  We have had an excessive
amount of rain on top of an excessive amount of snow.  Our small pond is
over its banks and half across the lower lawn.
As for what's blooming today, I have about a dozen of my early daffs - some
February Gold and some very old but unidentified small yellow trumpet types
against the foot of the boulder beside the drive.  They're always the first
because of warmth from the stone, I guess.  We've had crocus for about
ten days, and this week both Scillas and Chinodoxas have bloomed in the
lawn where I never planted them.  I'm never sure which is which until I look
them up in the bulb catalog.  The Hellebores are putting on a pretty good
show this year.  The white one is quite lovely.  That's about it, though.
Forsythia is turning yellow down the road but nothing up on our hill is
showing any sign of life. I figure everthing is about a month behind it's
regular schedule.  The worst of it is that my club has a horticulture show
scheduled a week from Monday, and I can't see that we'll have anything
to exhibit. Oh well
APL

In a message dated 4/9/2011 2:05:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,