RE: Blooming Today
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: RE: Blooming Today
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 09:45:14 -0700

A few late daffodils, Spanish lavender, salvia greggii, California
poppies, vinca, erysimum.
We finally had a weekend with decent weather so I could get outside and
do some work. I got the back lawn looking reasonably neat and spent a
couple hours with the weedeater (which I hate with a passion, but there
doesn't seem to be an alternative). Then I pulled grass in the dry
garden, like bailing the ocean, but I did get a nice area cleared. In
the process I uncovered my salvia spathacea, which has really done a lot
of growing in the past couple seasons. It should bloom in a couple
weeks. My native buckwheat (Eriogonum fasciculatum foliolosum) and the
rabbitbrush (Chrysothamnus nauseous) are reseeding themselves happily,
wish I could get some of the more showy salvias to do the same. There
are gophers everywhere, DH has been setting traps every night.
At least one of my seedling heat mats in the greenhouse failed couple
weeks ago. I discovered this by getting shocked after touching the bench
so I unplugged both - they're almost 10 years old - and tossed them.
Unfortunately it was still freezing at night. I was surprised last week
to see a greenhouse supplies store in a mini-mall in town. How handy,
never seen a store like that around here. So I went in and found the
heat mats. But they sure carried an awful lot of hydroponics supplies
with interesting labels...brands I've never heard of...then I thought of
the recent news about people growing things they shouldn't indoors and
it all became clear. Not sure I should go back there now. :-)
We rode Sunday amongst the wildflowers but the showing isn't much to
speak of this year. Still it was a very nice day and there were enough
flowers to make us happy.

Cyndi