RE: re: Apologies- now ideas and links for a few spots

Well Donna, there certainly are others on this list far more expert than I,
but I'll toss in my 2 cents. You mentioned multi-season interest, which would
exclude most flowering trees which are spectacular for a few weeks in the
Spring but otherwise are just "trees". Still, I wouldn't rule out some of the crab
apples, many of which stay small and have interesting fruit. I like the
weeping form of my Red Jade.

Since your island is not very big, you'll want a tree that that doesn't grow
out of bounds. And since you'll get some afternoon shade, perhaps a Japanese
Maple cultivar might work. There are hundreds to choose from, ranging in size
and form from tiny drooping miniatures to ones that grow up to 30 ft. tall.
Wayside Gardens has a nice selection, and although pricey, they will cheerfully
replace/refund any plant that doesn't survive, no questions asked. <A
HREF="

    http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?catalogId=10067&storeId=10151&langId=-1&mainPage=page1";>Wayside

Gardens: Welcome to Wayside Gardens Online!</A>

Mountain Maples is a specialty nursery with a huge inventory, although I've
never ordered from them- just gawked at their catalog. <A HREF="

    http://www.mountainmaples.com/WS4D_Cookie=8.4.03_03,16,41_20/index.html";>Mountain

Maples Home</A>

Another tree with multi-season interest would be a Beech. There are several
gorgeous weeping forms, one with deep purple leaves, another called "Tricolor"
with leaves of white, rose pink and green. They grow extremely slowly, so I
don't think they would outgrow their spot in our lifetime! I think Mountain
Maples sells them too, but you could probably find them available locally, since
they are commonly used in professional landscape plantings.

Then there are a number of beautiful birches, with graceful branches, some
with finely cut leaves, some with deep purple leaves, and all with various
shades of peeling bark. Some cultivars are short lived due to birch borers, but
others, such as the snow-white paper birch and Heritage river birch are
resistant. The Paper-bark maple has similar peeling bark and can get pretty big, but it
grows very slowly.

One of my favorite catalogs is Forest Farm. I get no commissions, but I sure
do put in a lot of plugs for them! Their catalog must be close to 2 inches
thick, and no pictures! I have ordered from them for several seasons, and have
been very pleased with their stock. Most things are sold in tiny "tubes", but if
I pay attention to their zone ratings, things do very well. I have a number
of shrubs that were "chopstick" size 3 years ago that now tower over my head.
Oh, I have (from them) a cultivar of smoke bush, called "Velvet cloak", that is
the most luscious shade of deep purple, with the "smoke" flowers a rich
purplish pink. It stays this color all season, and the tree can be pruned to a
single or multi-trunk shape. It looks gorgeous early in the morning, all silvery
pink from the morning dew. <A HREF="http://www.forestfarm.com/";>Forestfarm plant nursery: Buy plants for your garden
online</A>

You might also consider something of interest that won't grow, such as a
large interesting boulder (yes, you'd have to buy it and have it delivered) a
piece of statuary or sculpture, a birdbath, an arbor and/or bench, or a fountain
or small pool. How about a tiny naturalistic waterfall with a small Japanese
Maple behind it?

BTW, I am getting some garden photos developed which will be on AOL's You've
Got Pictures. (I don't have a scanner at the moment) How would I post them to
the list if anyone wanted to see them?

Hope that helps! My Carpal Tunnel is acting up, so I have to get off this box
for now.

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY  zone 5/6