From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Kitty
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 11:36 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT]perennials

Tony,
Some people think I'm picky or too literal when I say that Lavenders,
Persian Shield, Osteospermum - African Daisy, and Candytuft are shrubs,
not perennials or that Purple Fountain Grass, Thunbergia - Black Eyed
Susan Vine, and Pelargoniums are tender perennials, not annuals.  But I
feel that if we know this basic thing about a plant we can have more of
an idea what can or can't be done with it, and possibly how.

When I grew my first lavender years ago I cut it to the ground during
early spring cleanup because that's what you do with perennials.  And it
didn't come back - I killed it.  Had I known it was a shrub I wouldn't
have done that.  Admittedly, I was wrong about the cutting back for
rebloom according to Pam's experience.  Now that I think of it I have a
Lilac that blooms 3 or 4 times a season and deadheading after each
flowering does help.  So I guess we both learned something on this one!

Kitty