Re: lurking

Hi Scottie......I'd be glad to help you out with 4 O'Clocks....have tons of
seeds, and plants to share.  As for your petunias and some of the others, I
think they lived longer than they probably should have.  I think even as far
north as Pam are those grown in winter/spring gardens only.  Also, depending on
where you end up with your shade garden, anywhere south of I-10 is pretty much
non-hosta country....but the various peacock gingers are a great alternative.
They return year after year and come in a wide assortments of colored foliage
and blooms.

Perhaps you could consider growing more of the subtropical and tropical
plants in your containers, these would give you year round color and never have to
worry about the sun or heat getting to them.  Suggestions.....Hibiscus,
Bougainvilla, Duranta, Brugmansia, Dietes, Gingers, etc.  Perhaps even some Citrus
varieties.  For smaller pots, Salvias which come in an array of colors and
sizes, and many others that love the heat.  Just a thought!

Fall is the perfect time to plant some vegies, herbs, petunias, etc.  They
definitely love the cooler weather and will continue to grow and bloom
throughout the winter into the spring.

Congratulations on your husband's Orchids....which I'm sure you will
definitely take a liking to in no time.  The best part about gardening in our
zone/area is that the orchids thrive (even without a greenhouse).  I have mine hanging
from the trees, and anywhere else I can stick them.....they (well most
species) love the heat and humidity.

There are quite a few of us on this list, at least there were, that are
gardening in your zone, that would be glad to help out.....not just advice, but
plants, seeds, etc.

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast