Re: the south/ Hurricane devastation

Last weekend my mom came into town.  We drove down to a beach we always go to
in Matagorda Bay.......where the recent Hurricane center passed over.  This
beach is about an hour due south of us, is away from any tourists, has gorgeous
white long/wide beaches, beautiful lush seaside vegetation.  Across the bay
is a wildlife refuge that was always loaded with lush vegetation, several
species of various birds, etc. etc.

Hadn't been there since before the hurricane, figured it would be all back to
"normal" by now.  It was as far as the man-made parts were concerned.....lots
of new houses or renovated houses in Matagorda itself.  Only few signs of any
visible damage left.
We crossed over the bridge to the island to find the opposite.....total
devastation.  It wasn't the man-made areas that were hit worst, it seems, but
nature itself.  The place looked as if a developer had come in and ripped out every
bit of lush vegetation.
The beach had huge ruts in it, new inlets where there were none, bad beach
errosion, etc. etc.  It was heart breaking.  I'm sure nature will restore it
with time.....I hope.

We stayed, since dh and mom wanted to fish......usually able to drive down to
the beach without problem, but due to the storm, the paths were no longer as
secure.  Dh has a "wanna-be" truck that of course got stuck badly in a rut
filled with soft sand.  Nobody in sight.  Mom and I hadn't a clue how to help.
Out of nowhere a huge 4X4 truck appears, with tow bar, etc. and helps us out.
Mom and I figured it was a guardian angel.  LOL   This list of the south
reminded me of this.
How true the statement is, but geesh, just think what it would be like
without these guardian angels and their 4 wheel drive trucks.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast