From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Achillea question
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 18:16:40 EDT

I have heard Tomy Avent say he never gives up on a plant until he has
killed it three times. Well, I've killed one three times now, and I want to know
why before I give up on it. Why can't I grow Achillea tomentosa 'King Edward'?
I don't have any trouble with other Achilleas - I have 'Moonshine' and one
of the pink ones which have done pretty well for years. I have tried three
times to grow the dwarf 'King Edward' - three different sites. This year I put
it in a low, wide planter with Alyssum and the little blue Lobelia, thinking it
would be a pretty combination, and with special soil and watering might just
thrive. Wrong! It just disappeared. What am I doing wrong? I tried it
first as edging of a sunny border - rather sandy soil. Then I tried it in a
shadier spot. Now this planter, which I would have thought anything would like,
but no. I would really like to grow this plant. Any suggestions? Should I
try again next year or just forget it?
Auralie NY, Z5