Re: miniatures

OH thank you, thank you!!! I will start collecting these right way. I had no idea there was a hosta that small!!!! Incredible. Can't wait to get started on this. I have a teeny, tiny little bitty rose that is red. I'll be using that too. Got tons of the moss down by the creek behind our house. This should be a fun project for ALL of us.

From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] miniatures
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 17:42:12 EDT

In a message dated 08/08/2003 11:22:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jesserenebell@hotmail.com writes:

> Auralie...since you specialize in miniatures...I have a question for you.
> My twins want to plant a "fairy garden" with all kinds of different small
> plants. Can you recommend some plants that would look good in it? They are
>
> going to build tiny houses out of match sticks and make a pebble path. It's
>
> "MOM's JOB" to find the right plants.
>
> Jesse Rene' Bell

I should think you would want the teeniest tiny plants for this 'fairy
garden.' The one I saw a few years ago had really microscopic plants.
Here are a few you might start with:
Dwarf conifers - all sorts of goodies there
Mosses and Club mosses
Thymes
Arenaria verna aurea (Golden Moss Sandwort)
Lysimachia nummularia Aurea (Golden Moneywart)
Mazus reptans,
Sagina subulata (Corsican Pearlwort)
Sedum varieties
Dianthus 'Tiny Rubies'
Santolina ericoides - this can be sheared and shaped
Hosta 'Masquerade' - this little beauty has striped leaves about 2" high -
wins me a
blue ribbon every time.

Wasn't there a discussion on this list a while back about railroad gardens?
Or was that somewhere else. Those people do the tiny garden thing well. Here
are a douple of sites that do that: <A HREF="http://www.miniforest.com/gallery.asp";>http://www.miniforest.com/gallery.asp</A>
http://www.burger.com/grrplant.htm
Here's a pretty good list of plants: <A HREF="http://www.redsword.com/dollhouse/ddkilmon/plant.htm";>http://www.redsword.com/d
ollhouse/ddkilmon/plant.htm</A>

Sounds like a really fun project, and a wonderful way to help kids learn to
love gardening.
Auralie