Re: miniatures

In a message dated 08/08/2003 12:10:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kmrsy@comcast.net writes:

> Just curious:
> Say you grew a dwarf Filipendula "Kakome" in the ground and dug it up to
> take
> to this show, could it then be in a larger than 4 inch container since it is
>
> not "container-grown"?

Kitty, you would not ever dig up a whole plant to enter in a flower show.
The class would be for one (or three, maybe) flowering stem.  You would cut the
stem to an appropriate length, and also be sure you had the correct name so
that its dwarf status could be confirmed.  The containers for cut specimens may
or may not be supplied by the flower show committee, but should be clear and
appropriate in size to  make a nice display.
Dwarf or miniature plants are not necessarily tiny.  Dwarf sunflowers like
'Music Box',
'Teddy Bear,' 'Sundance Kid,' etc grow only a couple of feet tall, but have
blooms several inches across.  In the case, for instance, of dwarf conifers -
they will eventually grow to a large size.  The 'dwarfness' is determined by
the rate of growth.  But I'm sure you know all that.
Auralie