Re: lurking

Noreen,

Thanks for the offer.  I absolutely love 4 O'Clocks; they remind me of my
Grandmother.

I've been disappointed with my containers this year.  Usually, I can keep
the annuals going  well enough to revive them when things cool off in the
fall so that I have them all winter, but this year they just didn't make it.
Maybe I was spending too little time on them because of my orchid duties.

I do grow Bougainville; the current plant is now about three years old, and
ready to either go into the ground, or at the least into a new pot.  It
makes such a wonderful display, and has been in bloom all summer.  I never
thought about the gingers in containers, I'll try that if I am forced to
container garden another season.  I'm afraid Citrus would walk off under
someone's arm.  The Salvias I put out this spring in pots with dianthus, are
doing great except for needing to be cut back.  My sedums are doing fine,
also.  I've wanted to try Duranta and Brugmansia for a while, so now I'll
have the chance.

I only long for hosta.  I've never been able to keep it for long; the snails
and slugs always won (this was in Denver).  But I long for that cool, green
image: ferns, hostas, sweet woodruff and impatients, with astilbe and
ligularia 'rocket' for height and color.  This was very successful (except
for the hosta) under the apple tree where it was always damp because of a
leak in the pump from the waterfall in the rock garden.  I'll have to find a
combination that works here as well as that did there.

I do enjoy the orchids; I just resent having to devote so much time to DH's
hobby.  The vandas especially require daily soaking, and on the boat,
everything needs misting fairly often when it is as hot as it has been
lately.  Seems like I'm forever running to the boat at lunch to mist the
orchids, and I never get to eat.  (Not all bad, I've lost about 35 pounds
since he started growing orchids.)  We've joined AOS, and the Galveston
Society, so we're getting lots of really good information as well as
enjoying the meetings.

I'm hoping we get moved in time to do some fall planting.  I'd rather wait,
because moving containers is such a pain, and there will be plenty to move
already.  So look out for mail begging for advice with selections!

I'll be in touch!

Scottie