From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Kitty
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 8:09 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Siam Tulip

Lynda,
I purchased Curcuma alismatifolia 'Pink Wonder' (I'm guessing the same
as your 'Pink') a couple of years ago from Odyssey.  Here's the
instruction Russell Stafford sent:

Curcuma alismatifolia 'Pink Wonder'
A standout selection of Siam Tulip bringing a summer-lon succession of
frilly pink flowers on 2 foot stems to the garden or patio.  The foliage
is equally ornamental.  Tropical, Thailand, Zone 8. Garden Culture:
Plant 1 foot apart and just below the surface in well-drained, moist,
humus-rich, fertile soil in partial shade or sun.  A deep, airy mulch
enhances winter hardiness. Pot Culture:  Plant just below the surface in
an ample pot in a well-drained, moisture retentive medium.  Water well
during growth, dry off gradually in fall, and keep cool and barely moist
in winter.

The BBG book on bulbs for indoors says they like bright light shaded
from hot afternoon sun and prefer high temps and high humidity. "In the
late fall when the foliage begins to yellow, you'll know that the plants
are about to go dormant for the winter.  During dormancy, they should be
kept nearly dry; resume watering, which will commence new growth, in the
spring."

AHS adds this:  During growth feed with a balanced liquid fertilizer
monthly.  Storage temp during dormancy is 54 F.

>From these 3 sources, I think you should be ablre to put together a
plan.

Kitty