Re: symphytum

I've heard of 'Goldsmith', too.  The one I want is the white
variegated form - ever seen that one?  I have not seen it in person;
only photos.  I think 'Goldsmith' is very similar to 'Axminster
Gold'; height may have to do with the fact that mine is not in full
sun - is yours?  Guess, if mine stood up straight, it would be about
3 feet or so tall; but, it wants to lean, so I prop it up on the
euphorb it's growing next to.  Even if it were totally prostrate, I'd
grow it for those incredible leaves.

Yes, garden was lookin' pretty durn good, if I say so myself, when we
had the worst storm in my memory...hail shredded every large leaf in
the garden - hostas and brugs look like giant slugs have been having
a field day...cannas with new ribbon form leaves - pretty disgusting,
really.  Some plants, who naturally put out new leaves have done so
and are recovering, but the hostas are history for the season - I've
removed some of the most tattered leaves but the clumps are not what
they were before the storm; flattened big stands of ferns, who,
surprisingly enough have put out new fronds so I could get rid of
some of the mess; not all, but some.  Rain came down in torrents
after the hail and washed much gravel from drive and paths down
hill....gee, I do love sifting silt out of gravel and hauling it back
up hill:-)  Been an interesting season what with one thing and
another around here.  The positive side is we've had so much rain I
have not had to haul hoses for the first time in years and our 5 year
drought has broken.....I know the trees are very thankful; you can
almost hear them sighing with pleasure at finally getting enough to
drink.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade