Re: symphytum

Marge,
I think you might mean Symphytum x uplandicum 'Variegatum'.  Does look lovely,
will have to check around for a source.  I tried hort.net's gallery to see
Chris' pics, but I think hort.net has the flu.  fount another site with a pic.

My S. 'Goldsmith' never gets tall like your 'Axminster', just sort of mounds.
Mine is in dry shade.  I also have the plain comfrey in another shade spot; it
also mounds. (Greer sent me the plain one and when I called, they said, "Oh
wait until next year, the variegation will show up then." ???Ha! I suppose they
thought I'd forget, but I called them the next year and said nope, still plain
green, so they re-sent my ordered 'Goldsmith')

We also have the plain and Goldsmith at the Display Gardens, growing in part
sun, and t,hey too, only mound.  Never saw any height on any Comfrey until
yours.

Sorry to hear about all the damage you sustained. I'm sick and tired of all the
moisture around here, but I haven't had to put up with a lot of the problems
many of our list members have.  I've occasionally had to hand water a couple of
things that are more demanding, but otherwise, no hose-hauling here either.

Kitty