Re: symphytum

Kitty,

You're right - that's what I was talking about.  If I hadn't lost
what passed for my mind some time ago, I might have remembered the
article I wrote about this genus 2 years ago...complete with pix,
including your 'Goldsmith' AND the info. that 'Goldsmith' does not
get as large as 'Axminster Gold'...sigh...here's the URL to that
article:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/222/76820

I got 'Axminster Gold' from Ellen Hornig ( Seneca Hill
Perennials)...have not checked her site lately, but she still may
have it.  I see you found a source for 'Goldsmith' for Chris.  I
think that these variegated plants may be a bit iffy to propagate.
Seem to remember Ellen telling me this; that if you don't take
cuttings from the right part of the plant, the resulting plants will
not be variegated.  Now, if my mind is not up to its usual tricks, I
think she's also the one who said you could - or needed to - take
cuttings from the blooming stems to assure variegation.  Could be
Greer did not do this or whoever they got the plants from did not and
that's why you ended up with a plain Jane.

I remember my first foray into a variegated comfrey gave me the same
sort of result - no variegation and 'oh, it will show up next year' -
this was years ago with a shorter version of the plant and some
nursery up in New England whose name I don't recall, but that's OK as
they aren't in business now anyway:-)

As for the height on my 'Axminster Gold'...I am not sure if it would
get this tall in more sun or maybe a cooler climate?
Wonder...hmmmm...

I'm not really sick of all the water we've had.  It's made it a tad
difficult to do some of the major digging I had planned, but after 5
years of drought, I am not going to complain about one wet year.  I
could have lived without that damn hail, tho'!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: kmrsy@comcast.net
>
> Marge,
> I think you might mean Symphytum x uplandicum 'Variegatum'.  Does
look lovely,
> will have to check around for a source.  I tried hort.net's gallery
to see
> Chris' pics, but I think hort.net has the flu.  fount another site
with a pic.

> My S. 'Goldsmith' never gets tall like your 'Axminster', just sort
of mounds.
> Mine is in dry shade.  I also have the plain comfrey in another
shade spot; it
> also mounds. (Greer sent me the plain one and when I called, they
said, "Oh
> wait until next year, the variegation will show up then." ???Ha! I
suppose they
> thought I'd forget, but I called them the next year and said nope,
still plain
> green, so they re-sent my ordered 'Goldsmith')
>
> We also have the plain and Goldsmith at the Display Gardens,
growing in part
> sun, and t,hey too, only mound.  Never saw any height on any
Comfrey until