OT: 2003 Blackout

Christine Petersen Northport, New York Zone 7

I guess you all heard about the blackout in the Northeast!  My
family was all at home, thank goodness! My biggest worry was
reaching my elderly relatives to check on them and keeping my
fish tank aerated. We had one non-cordless phone and finally reached
the old folks (when they realized their cordless phones wouldn't
work). Luckily, I had purchased a battery operated air pump for the
100 gallon tank that houses LARGE fish! When I thought everything
was under control, my mother-in-law ended up in the emergency room,
where there was no AC- until my son and I left her at 3:30AM. The
roads were treacherous as there were no traffic lights. When you
live in suburbia, traffic lights are essential!  The stories of
friends being stranded in NYC are starting to trickle in. Our
electricity is back on, but my ISP is down, so I'm sending this message
by way of Yahoo Groups! I'll have to wait for your messages as the power
is still off in many areas on Long Island and NYC.

Chris

PS- The stars looked so magnificent in the total absence of city
lights!