night blooming cereus

Well, gang, my night blooming cereus has amazed me by producing 4
flowers open tonight - 2 last night.  Never done this before - think
it liked all the rain this summer.  I know some people get 20 blooms
or more on their plants, but mine has never, in all the years I've
had it - like well over 20- had more than 3 at a time and never a 2nd
flush - it had put out 1 a few weeks ago that I missed completely.  I
was moaning about this when a friend offered to come help me repot it
and I discovered 7 buds on it!  Some nocturnal visitor knocked 1 of
those off, but left me with 6...I've been watching them like a
hawk...

Sooo...took self out in the dark with my digi cam (which I've never
used at night before) and got some pix.

If you want to see.....go here:

http://www.mtalt.hort.net/cereus/night-bloom-cereus.html

How such a gangly awkward ugly duckling of a plant can produce such a
lovely flower is beyond me..and the scent is heavenly, too.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade