From:  [mailto: mlrasmus@rockwellcollins.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:08:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Rain & new babies

We had our first rain since July 22nd last night, and I received about
an<br>inch. Woo-hoo!!! Coming home after a VERY hot day - high 90's -
and the<br>temperature INSIDE the house read 92 degrees! There are a few
days a year<br>I wish we had air conditioning. Melody and Ceres, I hope
stopped a Home Depot recently, and they were in the process of
unloading<br>1 gallon perennials fresh off the truck. Plants looked
fantastic, and were<br>priced at $2.99 each! I couldn't help it - I
bought so many I filled my<br>trunk! (Thanks goodness it's a convertible
with a small trunk) I have a<br>new border of Sedum Spurium
&quot;Dragon's Blood.&quot; The tag says they get 3-4<br>inches tall,
but the ones I have are 7-10 inches tall now and about to<br>bloom.
Anyone have any experience with this plant? Does it flop or
brought home some Fountain Grass - pennisetum
alopecuroides<br>&quot;Hameln,&quot; which has added some nice texture
to the garden. Is this plant<br>going to behave itself? It looks like a
clumper, but I've found out the<br>hard way one can be
surprised.<br><br>They had a couple of other grasses that were in peak
condition but my<br>initial research says they might take over. One was
the 8-10 foot hardy<br>pampas grass, Saccharum ravennae and the other
was Gold Tufted Hair Grass -<br>Deschampsia caespitosa
&quot;Goldschlier&quot; (Gold Veil). I'm getting conflicting<br>reports
on the Gold Veil. Most websites say it is 12 -18 inches tall, but<br>the
HD tag says 4 feet. Opinions, anyone? Grasses are so much fun. I
grasses will be planted in
text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT<br><br>