Re: night blooming cereus

Well, many thanks, all - am delighted you enjoyed those blooms; they
are such a treat - makes putting up with the gangly plant all year
worth it.

Ceres, this one I overwinter in our bedroom, near an east-facing bay
window.  It would take up way too much space in the greenhouse and, I
think, get too cold for it.  We keep the bedroom cool to chilly, but
it doesn't go much below 50F.

Kitty, I've used the camera before, but never at night.  Sort of
strange as you can't see anything in the screen window bit until
after you've hit the button to take the picture - you shoulda' seen
some of them; like half a flower:-)

Judy, have not measured them, but think they are about 4 or 5 inches
in diameter at the widest part of the open blossom.

Bonnie, I've never seen a seed pod.  I think they are naturally
pollinated by some sort of night flying moth or something that does
not live where I do.  I am sure they must set seed somewhere in the
world.  You can propagate by cuttings - some say they are very easy;
I have not tried it.  One is enough!

Yes, the blooms turn into real limp odd items by morning and just
hang there until they sort of dissolve away.   Donna - answer is only
the one night, which is why they are pretty special and if you miss
the bloom period, you can kick yourself around the block:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :