Re: night blooming cereus

Well, I'm so glad you-all have enjoyed those pix...thanks!'

Richard, they don't tolerate temperatures below 35F without damage,
so would be a houseplant for you, as it is for me...it just lives
outside on the deck in summer.

I am jealous, Lynda, of all the blooms you get on yours, but think I
have discovered 2 reasons why mine has not produced many over the
years - the first being that I've been cutting back the new growth to
control size and the 2nd being that I haven't watered it enough in
summer - thinking it was a cactus, it didn't dawn on me that it
wanted water:-)  I have found that they really like water in summer
and think our incredible rain this year is what has encouraged mine
to be more generous with flowers.

Now, a friend who grows them said they flower on new growth, but this
web site says old growth...what do you find, Lynda?  Frankly, I've
never been able to tell on my plants.

This site will also show everyone who has not seen one of these what
the plant looks like - I note that the photos show neat staking -
think I shall have to do this as unstaked the stems go everywhere
like a Medusa, which is why I've always whacked the longest and most
unruly ones off when bringing it in for winter - so I could get the
dad blamed thing back in the house!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :