Re: rose question

In a message dated 08/31/2003 10:29:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gardenqueen@gbronline.com writes:

> Oh and mother wanted to
> know if she could over winter her miniature roses (in pots on the deck
> so the deer don't eat them) in their unheated (but above freezing)
> basement for the winter.

I heel mine in in a protected place in the vegetable garden for the winter,
then repot them in the spring.  This usually works, but I have lost a few over
the years - but then I have lost a few of almost anything over the years.  If
her basement is above freezing it shouldn't present a problem.  My problem
with leaving them in pots over the winter is that unprotected pots get a lot
colder than the ground, even when it's frozen.  However, if they are above
freezing, they shouldn't be allowed to dry out completely I would guess.  I'm sure
others here will hae a more scientific answer to your question.
By the way she's lucky the deer don't invade her deck - they regularly eat
the roses on my son's deck in Colorado - where they even have to cross a bridge
over a small stream to reach the deck.  Those are mule deer - not the white
tails we have in the East.     Auralie