RE: soil types and pH/also question/early winter signs?

Well, Pam, I can tell you that our walnut trees are already turning and
dropping their leaves.  Even the big cottonwood is slowly starting to drop
leaves here and there.  I'm not sure whether it's a cue for and early
fall/winter or these things have been so moisture saturated they are
drowning in underground streams!  LOL!!!  Squirrels are busy, though and now
that our young walnuts are bearing, the walnuts are disappearing at an
amazing rate.  (Oh for the days when the squirrels get their fill and we
still have enough left over to satiate my walnut appetite!)

Now if it would just quit raining long enough to spread a healthy blanket of
black gold mulch!  I definitely want to protect all the newer plants with
roots close to the surface because of our wet summer.

I'm leery of putting roses in my basement because of spider mites and if the
humidity is kept high to ward off the spider mites, then I've had trouble
with powdery mildew.  Anyone with a good greenhouse have better suggestions?
(I might try something like Kitty does with the leaves and coverings to over
winter the roses.)

Blessings,

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)

One month FREE spam protection at http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnetsig/