Re: rose question/weather

Pam, I do not know where your mother lives but in our area I think I would
sink the container in the soil  and cover with a secured rose cone.
    Trees in our area are dropping leaves.  Many trees are severely scorched
from the extreme heat & lack of moisture.  Many varieties of trees are in
trouble in our area.  First strike is, our native land was prairie not a woodland.
 Our trees are stressed from heat, dryness & many of diseases, insects and
environmental problems.  The most over used green and white ash are at the top
of the list.  It appears this may be another problem as suffered by the elms
sometime ago.  Our oaks and conifers are suffering from multi diseases &
insects, too.
    In our development all green ash were planted in the strip betwn side
walks and street (I believe this is referred to by some as the hellstrip).  This
gives a very uniform look but it would seem we would have learned from the big
loss of elms.
    When we lost our curb trees in the tornado of 98' we replaced with an
Autumn Blaze maple, Liriodendron and Autumn Purple Ash (which were recommended at
the time but now the white ash has problems also).
    Ceres, Iowa zone 4/5