Re: overwintering

My mother's tribe was from Alabama. She was born in Chattanooga because that was the closest hospital--just over the mountain, she said. My grandfather was a homeopathic physician who, when my mother was 2 or 3 years old, decided the herbs were greener in California, so he moved the whole menagerie [my grandmother was his second wife; she inherited a half dozen children from is first wife and had four of her own] to Los Angeles county. Only then did he discover that the State of California would not honor his Alabama license to practice medicine. So he went into the herbal remedy manufacturing business, but he continued to practice medicine on the sly [he took out my mother's tonsils on the kitchen table when she was 5].