Visit to Plant Delights

OK, it's taken me 2 days to let y'all know what went on a Plant Delights. My
back went out from the ride up there and had to go to the chiropractor today
to get it smashed back into place. Boy am I sore! No mowing or weeding for me
for a few days.

Anyway, we arrived easily, VERY easy to find off I-40 south of Raleigh.

The place is gorgeous, it's on farm land. The office is in front, and they
live in another house farther back on the property. The entire grounds are
planted, mulched, labeled, with mixed borders of sun with conifers (that I
can't grow of course) and then of course shade borders as well. The plants are
spaced so everything is visible, rather than crammed 6 inches from one another
(like my yard) so you can see every individual plant. VERY COOL. Water
features all over, testing gardens that weren't open. Red brick paths,

the classes were really good. Two hours long each. The first was the art in
the garden talk. I really like a lot of the stuff. Some of it was a bit too
ornate for me. But the sculpture Joel Haas also does a lot of very Japanese
work that is clean and simple. Liked those. His point was that art should
interact with the garden rather than blend. Don't place purple sculpture next
to purple flowers. He showed us slides of some of that and sure enough,
couldn't really see either the plant or the art. He didn't trash concrete
sculptures, just was trying to open our minds to other possibilities. I posted
his talk the other night so you all can see some of his work if you like.

Tony Avent's class, Tropicalissimo, was mainly geared towards people in their
zone, but I did learn quite a bit about bananas. According to Tony, he has not
heard of any banana hardy north of zone 7. However, you can yank them out of
their pot and throw them potless in the basement for the winter and they will
do fine as long as they had enough time to store plenty of sugars in the
spring. So for those of you north of zone 7 who want banana trees badly, you
can have them but they take some work.

Tony was as humorous as his catalogs and the new one came out today. So those
on the mailing list should be getting one soon.

The greenhouses were immaculate and all the plants in great shape. Still
pricey, but WOW. I did manage to get myself an Echinacea 'Art's pride" or the
orange one, and yes it is orange. A Musella which is type of banana grown for
its flowers. A Cordyline 'Red Sensation'  and a Phlox that I can't recall
right now but it is almost black the flowers are so red. The flowers are also
tiny and fuzzy looking. Their rest of the plant looks like a regular Phlox. I
hope it does OK here.

There were a lot of people there, everyone was very nice. I have to admit that
I was less than attentive as I would have been squirming around in my chair
because my back hurt so bad. I finally popped 800 mg of ibuprofen and stood
for the rest of the class. LOL! And that was in the morning. Made it through
the rest of the day.

So, Anyway-for those of you interested in tropical gardening, and want to know
more let me know. Many of the things he talked about were zone 6 also.
Unfortunately, the rest of you would have to grow things in pots, but they
sure do have some nice things. And gorgeous hostas. We had a great talk on the
Amorphophallus plants, with much giggling and silliness. He is too funny. And
now they have their catalog covers on to-shirts. I wanted the plants more so
I'll get a to-shirt later!

Had  GREAT time! Go if you get the chance. But call first as they aren't open
to the public on a regular basis.
Andrea H
Beaufort, SC