Re: Garden Projects

> From: Chris@widom-assoc.com
> The ivy is  hedera helix.  I've just found a website that deals
with its
> removal, but any other ideas would be appreciated!
----------

Hedera helix needs constant clipping to keep it in bounds.  I have to
clip mine at least 3 times a growing season and sometimes more.

If you really want to remove it, digging out the roots is the best
bet.  If you keep it cut back or defoliated, it will die, but you
need to be vigilant for a season or two.

Depending on the extent of what you want to remove and where it is,
you can cut it back to the ground; pull out what comes easily and
then cover the area with black plastic and mulch - seal the edges so
no light gets in...ought to do it in in a season.  It's not immortal,
but it does grow fast and old, established plants have deep roots.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis