Re: Chinese ginger

Ceres,
Guarantees are a funny thing. I don't believe most people would hold a
nursery to a guarantee for a plant that died in its second year.  And even
if they were to - could they find the receipt?  Probably not.  Since this
nursery sells quality plants to begin with, the chances of a plants demise
are greatly diminshed.  Add to that, the fact that this nursery is pretty
high priced, they can afford to do it.  Example:  I know they probably get
their Heuchera 'Amber Waves' for $2 either in the fall to pot up for next
season or in late winter and pot up for the current season.  By the time the
customer buys them they've filled out and they charge $16.50 for it.  $40
for a simple butterfly bush.  $130 for a PG Hygrangea.

The offer of a guarantee is good will.  Makes people feel better about
spending the money.  Sure they may run into a problem with the idiot that
buys a $450 Larch and lets it die, but in that case, I'm betting they
replace the tree rather than give him credit.  The larch probably cost them
$50.  If they have to replace it, they're still way ahead.  And they have a
customer who will return.

On the other hand, the owner of another top nursery in the area - but out in
the boonies rather than down the street from me - gives no guarantees for
the reasons you mention.  That's his way of doing it.  He can be high on
some things, but on many he is lower than the in town guy.  That same
Butterfly bush is $18 from him.  Most gal perennials $10, but some newer
varieties higher.  He doesn't offer the $3.99 qts I can get from the intown
guy.

Personally, the guarantee doesn't matter to me when I buy locally.  I want a
healthy plant and pay accordingly.  I do like a little bit of a guarantee on
mailorder, though.  When PDN sent me a boring sparsley flowering
tiny-bloomed plain jane Phlox rather than the bold pinwheel bloomed Natascha
I paid for, I expected a replacement and got it.

Oh - I think Franks Nursery & Crafts gives a 1 yr guarantee and I think
Lowes has some sort of guarantee.  But, as I said, that doesn't influence my
decision.  Personally, it is my guess that overall the guarantee can be a
good marketing tool and the costs incurred aren't a big deal.  But I don't
know anything about the actual costs anyone offering a guarantee incurs.

Kitty