Re: Garden Projects

Ah, Chris - sandy soil!  An item I have little experience with.
'Minutissima' is so tiny that even if it were aggressive, I don't
think it would pose a problem.  Yes, L. nummularia can move out in
the proper conditions.  It doesn't do that much moving in the cracks
of the paving of my front patio because it gets hot and dry there, so
there's just a bit of it at the edges, but I put some in an adjacent
bed and it's gotten pretty happy - of course, it's in competition
with several other tough guys, so I just let them fight it out.

Most of my dry shade is due to tree and shrub roots - mostly trees.
In woodland conditions, tree roots suck up all available moisture
going.

I agree - if you have columbines near the path, they'll end up in the
cracks as will everything else that makes seeds within at least a 5'
radius of the paths...plants love to seed into paving cracks:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

> From: Chris@widom-assoc.com
> Marge,
>
> I'll have to look for  Lysmachia japonica 'Minutissima'. L.
nummularia