Re: Chinese ginger - Yo Kitty!

And, without the spreaders and self-seeders, I wouldn't be able to
begin to manage my garden - they are invaluable; they cover ground
with something I like a whole lot better than the selections old Ma
Nature comes up with:-)  Yeah, I do spend a lot of time hacking back
and pulling seedlings but OTOH, I don't have to mulch or weed much in
the older parts of my garden - my groundcovers take care of that!
When you have great swaths of a single plant, it's not heartbreaking
to dig some out if you want to plant something else and until that
day, they cover the ground, bloom and take care of things:-)

Pachysandra terminalis is a real work-horse of a groundcover.  Yes,
it does, like all aggressive plants, need curbing once it reaches the
boundary you want it to grow in, but it's a neat, tidy plant that
does stop all but the most determined woody seedlings from growing
where it grows.

I am very fond of Asarum tho' many of the far east types are slug
bait of the first order.  I've got a very good swath of A. canadense
covering ground at the base of a maple and black locust in very
inhospitable conditions...it could cover twice the area and I would
be very pleased; glad it's survived all these years in the first
place.  Anything that can grow under a maple is on my 'A' list!

My one small clump of A. europaeum has not done a lot of expanding
and I've had it for well over 20 years; beautiful plant tho'- foliage
looks like someone polished it.

I have, at one time or another acquired the following - some of whom
are still with me and some who are not despite multiple purchases:

A. 'Ling-Ling' - think that one bit the dust pretty quickly.
A. shuttleworthii 'Callaway'
A. arifolium (three times and I'm not sure I still have it)
A. arifolium virginica
A. delavayi
A. naniflorum
A. naniflorum 'Eco Decor' - lasted about 2 years.
A. speciosum
A. speciosum 'Woodlanders Select'
A. splendens - with whom I am extremely well pleased; does not seem
as attractive to slugs; fantastic foliage and seems to be bulking up
quite well.
A. virginicum 'Shuttleworthii'
A. virginicum var virginicum 'Silver Splash'

There is not, IMO, a remarkable difference amongst this group - the
foliage varies a bit, but not enough so that I can easily say this
one is so and so - except for A. splendens...it really stands out.  I
think many of mine suffered from getting too dry during our 5-year
drought.  Some of the smaller ones were no match for the slug
population; I still have at least 2 clumps of rather mini versions;
not sure who is what without retrieving tags.  They prefer that
oxymoron - a highly organic soil that stays moist but drains
well....probably the hardest condition to achieve in my climate.
While they want shade, they also seem to do best where they get
fairly bright light - those that are literally under shrubs survive
but don't really expand all that fast.  High dappled shade seems to
be the best light for them.  Only some of mine are getting that!

If you can keep them going, they are all lovely plants.  Except for
'Splendens', none of them are really going to cover a huge amount of
territory in your life-time...slow, slow expansion.

I'm a sucker for these plants, however, and will keep acquiring them
as I can, I am sure...gotta feed those slugs!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :