From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 2:09 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Rat

In a message dated 08/10/2004 5:05:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mtalt@hort.net writes:
Once upon a time, I raised 2 field mice from blind babies to
adult-hood, when I released them.  Enchanting little critters - cute
as the dickens; I can still see those pink eraser rubber noses and
bright shoe-button eyes; was very traumatic to release them, but they
do not make good pets and I had 5 cats at that time.

Marge, there was a time when my youngest son brought home a pair of mice
at the end of the school year.  I had absolutely stated that he could not do

that
since we had a cat and a dog at that time, but he said he had "won them in
an
egg-throwing contest."  Participants in this contest had tossed uncooked
eggs
back and forth, taking a step backward after each toss.  The last person to
catch the egg without breaking it was the winner.  This was what they did in
second grade!  Anyway, the only place we had to keep the mice was in an
old empty birdcage which worked for the adults but when the inevitable
babies
arrived it no longer worked.  To make a long story short, we eventually sold
about a dozen of them to a pet store for ten cents apiece (the proprietor
was
friend and didn't tell our son that they would be used as food for the
boas.)
However, one of the babies had escaped and we were unable to catch it.  This
mouse, which my son dubbed AJ (Foyt) would appear at intervals anywhere
in the house.  We knew he ate from plates in the dishwasher.  Both the dog
and the cat knew he was there, and both ignored him.  This situation went
on for quite some time. We were fairly certain that there was only one since
the population did not seem to increase.  Then, one night I had a very vivid
dream that the mouse was calling me, begging for help.  When I got up the
next morning, the corpse lay outside my bedroom door.  I have no idea why
the cat finally decided to put an end to the situation, or what prompted my
dream.  One of life's little mysteries.
Auralie

http://www.hort.net/funds/