Re: sweet autumn clematis

> From: james singer <jsinger@igc.org>
> That huckster on the Weather Channel--P. Allen Smith--was touting
this
> plant last weekend. And I have to admit, the one he showed on an
arbor
> was quite attractive. He also said he cuts it back all the time.
----------

It is most attractive in bloom or seedheads, but, where suited, it is
a *very* vigorous vine and will seed all over the map.  I cut mine
back in very early spring to 2 buds from the ground; it grows at
least 20' or more each season.  One that I let grow on some Japanese
holly gets hacked back at least 3 or 4 times a season - needs it
again, but it's close to blooming so it will have to wait until
that's done - poor hollies!  I have several; I have more than I need.
 I give them away; I pull and dig them out and compost them and enjoy
the ones I permit to grow.  But, if you choose to grow it, you need
to keep an eye on it.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade