Re: Self-seeders

Yeah, Ceres, I'd rather leave the seedheads on the asters, too -
actually find them attractive, but they seed so much even when I
deadhead that I just have to make myself do it.  Aster seedlings are
not all that easy to pull out of the gravel drive if you let them get
going at all - which is where they seed by the millions, as well as
into all adjacent beds within about a 20 mile radius.  That section
of the drive takes a lot of effort in spring as that's where the
asters and the Eupatorium and Cleome and blue-eyed grass and
Verbascum phoeniceum and violets and about every weed on the planet
all think it's really nice to grow...sigh...  I can get that section
clean as a whistle and turn around a week later and have to do it all
over again...

One of my SAs wants to climb my huge Chamaecyparis, but the one time
I let it, I found the chamy was dying out under it, so I don't let it
do that anymore.  Yours doesn't kill off the needles on your fir by
shading them out?

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

> From: Cersgarden@aol.com
> Marge, I too, deadhead the asters but would prefer to leave the
seed heads
> for the birds.  Certainly SA is another that is deadheaded.  I have
SA far up