From: Judy L Browning [mailto: judybrowning@lewiston.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:35:29 -0700
Subject: Re: [CHAT] gainful employment/burnout

Pam is the one who isn't getting the pay or bennies.<br>Actually, I'm
paid well, and time and a half for overtime. I just don't like<br>having
to wait until the next shift arrives to do my documentation.
What<br>frosts me is the assumption that one patient is the same as
another. Doesn't<br>take into account the big crippled lady that takes
15 minutes to transfer<br>from the bed to a chair. Do that 4 or 5 times
in 8 hours plus the few<br>minutes it takes to shuffle furniture to do
it safely and you feel like<br>you're never out of that room. That's a
task I could happily delegate to an<br>assistant some of the time. Did I
mention she was demented and couldn't<br>remember which foot to move if
not told. Exhausting, physically and<br>emotionally, and that was 1 of 5
folks I was responsible for. Should be able<br>to spend more time with
the least stable person, doing frequent assessments.<br>Ended up dashing
in &amp; out of other rooms, just making sure everyone's<br>breathing
&amp; talking while I check vital signs.<br>Understand, I love my
profession, usually find a lot of satisfaction in my<br>job, just very
frustrated with this particular situation. It's not about the<br>money
for me, although I do like to spend it!<br><br>----- Original Message
-----<br>From: &quot;Marge Talt&quot; &lt;mtalt@hort.net&gt;<br>To:
&lt;gardenchat@hort.net&gt;<br>Sent: Monday, August 09, 2004 8:51
Pretty brutal, Judy. Don't blame you for being upset about it.
If,<br>&gt; like Cathy, you sign up with the military for 24x7 or, if,
like me,<br>&gt; you're self-employed, you can expect to have to work
sign up for a certain time period for a certain rate<br>&gt; of pay -
that's what you should have to provide; being asked to do<br>&gt; more
for less just ain't kosher. It's like my clients wanting more<br>&gt;
work than was contracted for, for the same fee. They try, but I
have<br>&gt; gotten a lo

t less cooperative about it in my old age:-)<br>&gt;<br>&gt; If you are
hourly, I do not believe they can legally require you to<br>&gt; work
for no overtime. If you are salaried, I think they can, legally<br>&gt;
do this - but it really would depend on your actual agreement.
If<br>&gt; they have a human resources department, you might try a bit
of<br>&gt; complaining:-) I wonder what OSHA would think of them not
giving you<br>&gt; lunch breaks? Are you union? If so, there's a venue
day's pay for 3 days is worth it,<br>&gt; myself...of course, again, it
away - that's what friends are for:-)<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Marge Talt, zone 7
Maryland<br>&gt; mtalt@hort.net<br>&gt; Editor: Gardening in
Shade<br>&gt; -----------------------------------------------<br>&gt;
Current Article: Corydalis<br>&gt;
http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/shade_gardening<br>&gt;
------------------------------------------------<br>&gt; Complete Index
of Articles by Category and Date<br>&gt;
http://mtalt.hort.net/article-index.html<br>&gt;
------------------------------------------------<br>&gt; All
Suite101.com garden topics :<br>&gt;

    http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635<br>&gt;<br>&gt;

----------<br>&gt; &gt; From: Judy L Browning
&lt;judybrowning@lewiston.com&gt;<br>&gt; &gt; Well folks, in the last 3
days, my so called 8 hour shifts have<br>&gt; stretched to<br>&gt; &gt;
9-11 hours with no time for a lunch break. 5 hours overtime, or<br>&gt;
about an<br>&gt; &gt; extra day's pay for the 3 days. Not sure it's
worth it. They staff<br>&gt; by<br>&gt; &gt; algorithm at this hospital
rather than by acuity. I fail to<br>&gt; understand how<br>&gt; &gt;
paying 2 or 3 nurses overtime is cheaper than paying an extra<br>&gt;
assisitant. I<br>&gt; &gt; can afford to work only 6 days every 2 weeks,
and can't afford to<br>&gt; work more,<br>&gt; &gt; emotionally or
physically. A lot of nurses choose to

ake other,<br>&gt; less<br>&gt; &gt; lucrative work because of the
killer stress involved.<br>&gt; &gt; Getting off my soap box, thanks for
letting me vent.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;
Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>&gt;

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com