Re: storms

Wow...I remember having to tape up the windows so glass would not go
flying and stocking up on water, candles and food. I was never hit hard
by one, and after the first three times (being new to living below sea
level) of prepping my house for a hurricane...I didn't bother after
that. It's a lot of work! Be safe Jim. Hope you have no damage from
this. I'll keep you and "The Short One" in my prayers...along with all
of those in harm's way.

james singer <jsinger@igc.org> wrote:
What's a basement?

Seriously, our house has small jalousie windows [jealous widows, we
call them] that the wind can throw a tree limb or something through but
probably not bow enough to break. And then, we have planted a jungle
around the house, so that will be something of a windbreak and barrier
to flying objects.

The only thing I find somewhat worrisome is that Ms. Fatma likes to
grow things in pots and hanging baskets, so we've tried to set most of
these on the ground amongst the shrubberies [with a tip of the hat to
Monty Python] on the theory that the wind will be so broken up at
ground level that it can't do much damage. And we put a new roof on the
house a couple of months ago, so that's not likely to suffer damage.

And this morning, I picked all the remaining avocados from the tree,
thereby reducing the number of potential missiles.

On Friday, August 13, 2004, at 10:32 AM, Kitty wrote:

> Well, Jim, judging from all the comments you've made about Charley and
> your
> location, it sounds like staying may not be such a bad idea. Still,
> winds
> could be rough, so hopefully you have a specific location in your house
> (basement?) to go to when things get especially rough. Good luck.
> Kitty
Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W