Re: gainful employment/burnout

I can certainly understand your frustration, Judy.  It is rather
deplorable that hospitals are doing this type of thing - probably
have done in the past as well.  I know bills have to be paid and
money earned and all that, but one would think that proper patient
care - which means adequate staff who are not overburdened - would
come first...

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Judy L Browning <judybrowning@lewiston.com>
> Pam is the one who isn't getting the pay or bennies.
> Actually, I'm paid well, and time and a half for overtime. I just
don't like
> having to wait until the next shift arrives to do my documentation.
> frosts me is the assumption that one patient is the same as
another. Doesn't
> take into account the big crippled lady that takes 15 minutes to
> from the bed to a chair. Do that 4 or 5 times in 8 hours plus the
> minutes it takes to shuffle furniture to do it safely and you feel
> you're never out of that room. That's a task I could happily
delegate to an
> assistant some of the time. Did I mention she was demented and
> remember which foot to move if not told. Exhausting, physically and
> emotionally, and that was 1 of 5 folks I was responsible for.
Should be able
> to spend more time with the least stable person, doing frequent
> Ended up dashing in & out of other rooms, just making sure
> breathing & talking while I check vital signs.
> Understand, I love my profession, usually find a lot of
satisfaction in my