From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2004 4:51 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] seedling mulch NOW grits, tongue and other "delicacies"

Hi, Bonnie. When I had the sheep farm, we hired out the slaughtering
and butchering, but did most of the rest of it ourselves. We always
saved the pig fat/cow suet until the end of the slaughtering season,
then rendered it together in a large vat. When it was bubbly, we threw
in thin sliced potatoes and made the best potato chips I've ever had.
We always had teenagers standing in line to eat them.

The potatoes also absorbed all the remaining blood in the fat [the real
flavor, I think] and left it more or less inert and ready to store.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Zone 10a