Re: Need some advice...

You know, Bonnie, reading your post again, there really isn't any way
to ensure that you will not have moles working that area as long as
it contains food for them.  If you manage to kill the one(s) that are
there now, others will come to take their place.  I wonder if that
soil is perhaps looser than the surrounding area; has more organic
material and thus more earthworms or something...something that's
attracting them to the area around the pond...

I do know, from sad experience, that moles can die from excessive
soil vibration right next to them...one day I was building a
retaining wall and there was a mole working right where I was; I
could see the soil heaving...I just kept on pounding in stakes and
the mole surfaced and died right in my hand - I was very sad:-(  Had
I realized this, I would have moved away until the mole moved on.
They have the absolutely softest fur on the planet.  I expect this is
why those odd pinwheel mole discouragers are sold tho' I do not think
they are particularly effective in reality.

I am a mole fan...anything that aerates my stolid clay soil and eats
Japanese beetle grubs is a friend of mine.  I just stomp tunnels in
what passes for our lawn if they get on my nerves...otherwise I think
what grass I have is grateful for the loosening of the otherwise
compacted soil:-)

Here's a link to extensive information about moles and their control
in Virginia:

And another from Oregon:

And less information, but better pix from Ohio

The Virginia site points out that mole traps pose dangers to the
installer of same as well as pets and other small wildlife.  If
trapping is what you decide to do, it appears it is best left to a
professional mole exterminator.  Poisons are also difficult and
dangerous, even if the average homeowner can get those rated for

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :