Re: Yellowjackets!

Well, those pesky but beneficial wasps get more aggressive as the
season wears on.  I had an encounter with a nest last month...they
won.

Had a thought re: your feeder.  You might try filling a narrow neck
bottle (ketchup or similar maybe; old wine vinegar bottle or any one
of those long narrow neck kind) about half way with a strong sugar
water solution and hanging it up somewhere away from where you put
the hummer feeder, but close enough so this group could find it.
Something that they'd have a hard time getting out of once they got
in.  Might trap them.  I've had occasions when my entire hummer
feeder bottle was full of dead yellowjackets who'd climbed in the
feeder holes and couldn't get out.

If they did go to the bottle, they might concentrate on it instead of
the hummer feeder - or you might trap enough of them to keep them off
you and the hummer feeder....

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade