Re: purple hems

In a message dated 08/22/2004 5:01:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jsinger@igc.org writes:
Probably the reason they are a mainstay of roadsides begins in the
early 60s. I was in USDA's Ag Research division, then and our sister
division, Soil Conservation Service, was promoting them to control
roadside erosion and, in some cases, supplying the plants.

Well, Jim, they clearly aren't going to become the problem that kudzu did -
the USDA
was supplying that to control erosion in farmer's fields in the South through
the 40's.
However, I have read recently that a herd of goats will eat kudzu faster than
it can
grow, so if they just let goats run wild in the South like deer do here...