From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Marge Talt
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 1:19 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Where is everybody?

> From: Donna <justme@prairieinet.net>
> What has everyone else done?
----------
Well, last week was a killer; meetings with 2 clients + an out of town
evening presentation a 3.5 hour drive away - makes for a long day when
you don't get home until nearly midnight...plus getting ready for all
the above and the usual run of office paperwork, design work, etc.

In between the above, went to the quarry twice; sorted through their
huge mountain of rubble stone; loaded about 700 lbs; unloaded it; hauled
it about 300' down the hill to where I'm building a patio - this for the
retaining wall that will support it around one side (it's a 10' dia.
circle on the side of a slope).  Got 8 tons of stone dust delivered and
have been hauling that by the wheelbarrow down to same location - have
lost count of the number of loads that have gone down there; about half
the pile.  Got about 3/4 of the wall for the patio built so far.  When
that is done and the paving is done, need to build a lower retaining
wall for a planting bed and get some plants in before it's too late.
Really need more rocks to choose from as I am at the pick up and try
each rock 3 times to get one to work stage, but no time to go pick over
stone at the quarry right now.

Garden is in dire need of several days of intensive maintenance; leaves
are falling; branches and twigs all over from assorted thunderstorms,
"lawn" needs mowing and I note that hedges need pruning and that should
have been done 2 weeks ago....sigh.

Also had a session with the spiderwebs that have been holding the house
up for the last few months when I got rained out of the garden Sat.
before last and the general round of errands, chores, fixing food,
laundry...you know, the fun stuff of life:-)  Have managed to keep self
occupied;-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade