Re: Ia St Fair

No problem, Melody...goodness knows I'm not fast off the mark if I
even get to reply half the time;-)

Yes, great memories - well, if they stick with you for 50+ years,
they have to be.  I love the Budweiser Clydesdales with those
feathery hocks...such beautiful animals; deserve all the pampering
they can get.  I'm so glad people are still raising the big draft
horses - would be such a shame to let the breeds die out.

My mother's family lived in a little town named Lamont - north east
corner of the state.   Well, when I was a child they lived just at
the edge of town; when my mom was young, they lived on assorted farms
around there.  Had a great aunt in Cedar Rapids and others 'round and
about that area.  Cousin lives in Burlington (I think it is) and
another lives in an even smaller town near Lamont named Dundee, at
least part of the year - think she lives in Wisconsin in the summer.
I haven't been back to Iowa since my grandmother died in the mid 70's
and most of the relatives of my parent's generation are also gone
now; the younger ones have scattered across the nation.  My mom still
owns a farm up in Minnesota - well farm land; all the buildings are
long gone - very sad, IMO, the way the smaller farms have been turned
into rental land and the barns and houses allowed to rot away.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :