Re: Yellowjackets!

Inventive. If those terrors ever come back here, I'm going to try that.

On Wednesday, August 25, 2004, at 12:11 PM, Judy L Browning wrote:

Auralie,
noticed a remarkable drop in yellowjackets on the grapes, credited the heavy
rain. Then DH mentioned he used his shop vac to collect most of them. Just
waited til they were flying, then got them with the wand. Maybe this would
decrease the ones that are targeting your hummer feeder. No danger to
bumblebees & no poison. This should work with any vac, if you don't mind the
mess. The wind tunnel type might collect them alive. If so I'd let it sit a
couple days before emptying.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 11:01 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Yellowjackets!

Well, rats, Auralie...durn wasps; wonder why they are ignoring that
bottle of sweetness; not like them as they generally hit anthing like
that.  Maybe you have to take down the hummer feeder for them to find
that bottle.  Poor bumblebee:-(

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Thanks for the suggestion, Marge.  I tried hanging a bottle of a
strong sugar
water solution, even painted the top of the bottle with honey.
After two days
it has trapped one bumblebee - I don't really have a problem with
them - but
the yellowjackets have ignored it completely. They're still
swarming the
hummer's feeder, but he seems to be a bit bolder about sharing.
The other
day they would actually chase the hummer - today I saw him chase
one of
the yellowjackets.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida