Re: Re: "Wuerstchen"

When my brother-in-law started Vie de France bakery in Washington, DC, early 70s, he "imported" Vietnamese French-trained bakers. The baguettes were fantastic.

On Thursday, August 26, 2004, at 05:30 PM, Richard T. Apking wrote:

You know, Marge, there are about 2 things I miss about Vietnam, one is the
French bread, and the other is the (and this includes just about everyone I
met on a social basis) the very friendly people.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 12:42 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: "Wuerstchen"

That's how I remember real French bread...you can't buy it in the US,
no matter what any bakery says.  There is one bakery who, when they
first started out, produced a reasonable facsimile, but it's not the
same now and I understand it has to do with our health department
requirements for commercially prepared food, plus, of course, the
real stuff has no shelf life; gotta eat it fresh...real bread - they
have some pretty rotten 'Wonder' type stuff now, too -  in Europe is
heads and shoulders above what we can get in the US...even in major
metro area with all sorts of ethnic food stores...sigh.

It is strange your town has no decent German restaurants with that
high a percentage of people of German decent...someone seems to have
missed an opportunity there.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
From: cathy carpenter <cathyc@rnet.com>
What I remember of my 3 years in Germany and Austria as a young
girl is
the incredible bread - flavorful, with an assertive "mouth feel".
What
is unbelievable is that I live now in a town that has a population
of
50% German descent, and there is no decent German restaurant within
120
miles.
Cathy

Island Jim