Re: Plant ID help

Well, depending on where in Florida, I might be able to trundle by on a weekend and take a look.

On Aug 1, 2005, at 9:33 AM, Daryl wrote:

Will do.

Yes, a picture would help, but she's in California or someplace and her son
is in Florida. She was just visiting there a couple of weeks ago.

From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 8:39 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Plant ID help

I go blank on descriptions, Daryl. :) Picture would help. Ask them to
see if it looks like this

http://hort.net/+12Ql

On Aug 1, 2005, at 7:21 AM, Daryl wrote:

This was posted on another list, and I'm trying to help. Anyone have
any
ideas?

"Can you name this tree? growing in Central Florida... but may not be
native
to this area... perhaps, more tropical. Covered with short, flat
thorns,
with a "fat" trunk which narrows off quickly. Now about 8ft tall;
leaves on
top only and look like feathery tufts, pink blossoms similar to a
plumeria
bloom."

Then later, she asked her son for more info.

"He looked up close..... the leaves are similar in shape and size to a
mango leaf, except they stick straight out and grow close together in
a tuff
effect right on the top of the limb. The limbs stick straight up also.
leaves are a dark green. The bark is smooth ... some places green and
some
brown. The flowers come straight up out of the tuff of leaves...and
could
not be viewed closely from the ground. Appeared to be one blossom stem
on
each tuff of leaves... 6 or 7 blossoms/buds on each stem. The blossoms
were
similar to a plumeria but maybe not as completely opened (light pink).
The
lady who has it has never known it to make seeds, no new plants has
come up
either, and she has had it 12 years. "

That kind of plant is completely out of my biome. Jim or anyone, any
ideas?

Thanks.

Zone 7a/Georgia/Gardening on Heavy Clay

Island Jim