Poor pepper pollination problems

Hi guys,

   I have ONE pepper plant in a container on my front step.  It's an
   heirloom that supposedly produces large, thick-walled lilac-colored
   fruit.

   My parents have one as well and their plant does indeed produce fruit
   that meets that description, so I don't think it's unreasonable for
   me to have the same expectations with my plant.

   My plant is stubborn or sexually confused or something, though.
   It produces huge quantities of flowers (on a plant that's now 3'+
   tall!), but it has *never* set fruit.  I thought that peppers were
   self-pollinating, but this poor guy doesn't seem to have any interest.

   What's wrong?  Any ideas on what I can do to get some fruit of it?
   Do I need mood music?  A more secluded corner instead of a large pot
   on my front step?  Are the petunias planted around the base making it
   ashamed?

Thanks,

Chris